Keeping summer skin hydrated is a real challenge… With the sun shining bright all day long, we tend to get dehydrated easily. Even water activities can dehydrate our skin! This can harm our skin since it becomes more vulnerable to sun allergies, wrinkling, dry skin and dark spots. Learn how to boost your skin’s hydration with 5 summer skin care tips.
1. Hydrate skin from the inside-out
Drinking plenty of water to help detoxify and keep skin hydrated is essential all year round but especially important in the summer months when fluid is lost through sweat. Make sure to drink at least 8 glasses of water daily and your skin will look healthy and radiant.
2. Feed your skin
A well-balanced diet is the foundation for healthy skin as it provides our body with necessary nutrients. Foods like green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits, especially berries, that contain protein, antioxidants and other nutrients will keep our skin hydrated and at its best.
3. Keep your skin clean and refreshed
Whether or not you wear make up, cleansing your face should become as important as brushing your teeth – every day and night.
• Choose a gentle facial cleanser with balanced pH that will maintain your skin’s natural balance and won’t dry it out.
• Follow with a toner to remove any residual dirt and help restore the natural pH level of the skin, making it ready for being hydrated.
• Exfoliate twice a week for clearer, smoother skin. Exfoliating removes dead cells and impurities, leaving skin smooth and soft. Thus, helps our skin absorb the beneficial ingredients of the face moisturizer more easily.
• Refresh with a revitalizing toner spritz at your desk, in the car, at the gym!
4. Hydrate and nourish your skin
Hydrating the skin both inside and out will help combat dryness that causes redness, itching and irritations. It will also help fight against lines and wrinkles and maintain a youthful radiant skin for longer.
• During day use an intensive hydrating serum under your sunscreen to stimulate the hydration processes of the skin.
• Apply a night cream, rich in antioxidants, to nourish and rejuvenate your skin at night while restoring day time damages.
• Up your regimen’s level of hydration with an intensive hydrating mask, perfect to use 2 to 3 times a week.
5. And don’t forget the sunscreen
Never leave the house without first putting on a sunscreen. This will both protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun and keep your skin hydrated. As the sunscreen creates a barrier between your skin and harmful UV rays, your skin is able to retain the moisture you put in every time you take a drink of water.
About the Author
Sophia Koutsiana is currently Head of Corporate Affairs & Public Relations at APIVITA SA. She studied Business Administration, Dance and Holistic Health in San Francisco State University. She is a Yoga instructor trained and certified by the Yoga Alliance Registered Teacher Training Program of Yoga Loft, San Francisco, and a trained Health coach from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, New York.
In 2009 she established “Flow Center” a wellness and holistic treatments and APIVITA SPA Center, where she was leading Yoga and Gyrotonic classes. Sophia is committed on passing over her knowledge for a healthy and holistic way of living to broader audiences but also to the people of APIVITA.