Here are my acne tips for men:
- Increase your skin care program in the fall/winter, as acne may flare up. In a recent study in Paris, France, investigators checked the hormone levels in men each month for one year. The male hormone – testosterone – went up in the fall, making the skin oilier and more likely to break out.
- Watch your shaving habits. A triple blade razor will pull up the hair with the first blade, then cut the hair with the second or third blade. Then the hair will pop back under the skin and in-grow. Settle for a less close shave. After shaving, apply the Allantoin moisturizer which will help keep the pores open.
- Be careful about the use of hair gels, hair pomades and moisturizers, as some contain acneogenic ingredients. The safest are water-based gels.
- Avoid stress – going without sleep and eating too much sugar or refined carbs may flare you up. Get eight hours of sleep each night and eat healthy unrefined food such as old-fashioned oatmeal. The high sugar increases insulin levels and leads to stress. Follow the “South Beach” or low glycemic diet. No nightly six pack of beer – contains maltose.
- Use your BP 3% Exfoliating Cleanser and leave it on the skin as long as possible. Scrub it in and leave it on for ten minutes before washing off. This lets the BP penetrate into the pores to kill the acne-causing bacteria.
Good luck, men – I hope my acne treatment tips work for you!
James E. Fulton, Jr., MD, PhD
Vivant Skin Care is a family-owned company with more than 40 years’ experience in the research, formulation and development of high-quality, corrective and preventative skin care products. Their products successfully treat resistant skin conditions found in ethnic skin types such as hyperpigmentation (melasma) and acne, giving them a natural acceptability rate in the Latin American and Caribbean marketplaces. An estimated 45-50 million women worldwide live with melasma, a condition that presents itself as unattractive brown patches or uneven skin color.
The Vivant Skin Care line provides a non-surgical alternative to achieving even and clear skin. The Vivant research and development team, led by author and noted speaker James E. Fulton, Jr. M.D., Ph.D., has created a powerful and cost-effective line of clinical skin care products. Vivant also supports their skin care professional distributors with ongoing education, seminars, suggested protocols and product manuals.
For more acne treatment tips, instructional videos and other Vivant Skin Care tidbits, visit: http://vivantskin.blogspot.com.