We’ve all heard a million tips and tricks to keep our faces looking radiant and flawless, but what about the rest of our bodies? Many women, me included, deal with minor body imperfections that leave us feeling anxious about wearing shorts or tank tops. Summer is in full swing, and now is the perfect time to learn how to manage body imperfections.
For most of my life I have suffered from an unsightly yet minor skin condition called Keratosis Pilaris. As result of this condition some areas of my legs and arms have been left scarred and discolored. I’ve become accustomed to disguising my condition by keeping my skin covered up, even during the summer months. Unfortunately, I was told there was no cure for my condition and it was something that I had to live with. After a bit of trial and error I’ve found a regimen that has allowed me to look forward to a summer wardrobe that (tastefully) shows lots of skin.
Here are 5 steps to achieving great skin:
- Exfoliate Regularly. Exfoliating your body helps to get rid of dead skin cells and helps to minimize unevenness in pigmentation and texture. You can use a body wash that contains exfoliants like Glytone Exfoliating Body Wash. Another option is to use a moisturizing sugar scrub like LaLicious Sugar Souffle Body Scrub-Sugar Kiss, in conjunction with your regular body wash.
- Moisturize. Body washes that contain Shea Butter such as Burt’s Bees Naturally Nourishing Milk Body Wash, provide an excellent source of hydration. Follow up post-shower, with your favorite emollient body lotion or cream
- Treat. Some skin imperfections such as body acne or stretch marks require treatment if you would like to see an improvement in your condition.
- Conceal. Following steps 1- 3 won’t produce instant results in most cases, but it will get you on the right path to amazing skin. Even if you don’t have flawless skin, you can still give the illusion that you do. Dermablend Leg and Body Cover SPF 15 covers almost any skin imperfections from birth marks to tattoos. It has a natural finish and won’t transfer after the product has completely dried. I’ve even worn this product to the pool with no problems.
- Protect. The final and most important step. No matter what regimen you follow or what products you use, make sure that you are using a sunscreen to protect your body from the suns damaging rays.