When the New Year rolls around, we all are guilty of creating overly ambitious resolutions, but we often forget to include our skin. Don’t get me wrong, hitting the gym is very important, but healthy skin starts from within. I am sure you have heard this a million time before- ‘You are what you eat’, but think about it. What you put inside your body is almost immediately reflected by your skin and outside appearance.
I truly believe that an anti-inflammatory diet is the answer. Inflammation is the cause of many serious illnesses along with skin conditions such as acne. Think about when you get an injury, redness, pain and swelling quickly occur. If you follow these simple guidelines, you will see a drastic difference in the clarity and texture of your skin. You don’t have to be perfect, in fact that never yields the best results. Just start to incorporate these habits into your lifestyle.
- Healthy Fats- Get over your fear of fat right now! Learn the difference between a healthy and an unhealthy fat. Healthy fats are high in Omega-3 fatty acids and include wild salmon, extra virgin olive oil, avocados, raw nuts, and seeds.
- Herbs & Spices- This category is often surprising to people as well. Load of your food with ginger, garlic, turmeric and cinnamon.
- Fruits & Vegetables high in antioxidants- These should be a no brainer and it is very important to get 3-4 servings of each every day! If that seems like a lot to you, go get a fresh green juice to knock out 6 serving in one shot.
- Whole Grains, Beans & Legumes- Simple carbohydrates raise your insulin and glucose level and increase inflammation so avoid them. Stick to quinoa, kidney beans or lentils.
- WATER- Don’t forget that your body needs water to function and metabolize food. Clear skin starts with 6-8 classes of water a day.
My favorite anti-inflammatory skin care line is without a doubt Epionce. These products are the perfect complement to your anti-inflammatory diet. I highly recommend the Gentle Foaming Cleanser, Renewal Facial Lotion and the Renewal Eye Cream. I have super sensitive skin and these products keep my easy inflamed skin in check. In fact the whole premise of this line is to restore your natural skin’s barrier. These formulas help improve your skin’s own functions and as a result reduce inflammation.
Dr. Weil, one of my favorite health gurus, created an Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid, which is a fabulous reference. Print this out and put it on your fridge and adopting these habits will be second nature in no time!