SPF, of course, is an absolute must in an anti-aging skincare regimen. It does not, however, provide enough protection. While SPF protects the skin from the sun’s rays, it does not protect it from destructive free radicals that surround us 365 days a year, damaging our skin and even accelerating the aging process!
Free radicals are unstable molecules with unpaired electrons that must return to a stable state by giving away an electron to another molecule (reduction reaction), or by taking an electron from another molecule (oxidation reaction). They react with enzymes, sugars, amino acids, DNA, membrane phospholipids, collagen, etc. to damage and destroy essential skin components. Free radicals can disrupt a cell’s ability to function properly via multiple pathways, resulting in permanent damage, which expresses itself as aging!
Free radicals are everywhere – pollution, cigarette smoke, ozone and stress, just to name a few. Even our body’s metabolic production produces them! What’s even worse is that the biggest source of free radicals is the oxygen molecule; in other words, the air that surrounds us is producing an abundance of free radicals and causing us to age! They are naturally and continuously formed in the body as a result of internal and external oxidative stress. Two perfect examples of oxidative stress are a cut apple turning brown or rust forming on metal after being exposed to the air – this is due to free radicals that surround us everyday, everywhere.
Free radicals are on a mission to destroy anything in their paths, including vital parts of the skin, such as lipids (i.e., essential fatty acids) and protein (i.e., collagen and elastin) and even DNA! Once a free radical is formed, it is similar to a “small fire” that begins to grow. These “small fires” can cause serious damage to cells, tissues, and even organs, eventually leading to premature aging and disease. Free radicals will “attack and snatch” energy from other cells to satisfy themselves, causing an imbalance which subsequently leads to more damage.
The body’s natural defense systems decrease with age, and the level of oxidative damage increases from 10 to 40% as cellular repair mechanisms begin to fail. Excessive formation of free radicals cannot be handled by the body’s own defenses and the result is accelerated aging. So how do we protect ourselves from the destructive Oxidative stress? ANTIOXIDANTS (Anti- Oxidation)! They are a free radical’s worst enemy!
Antioxidants are molecules that protect cells from damage caused by oxidative stress. Antioxidants work by neutralizing, or scavenging, dangerous free radicals. Just like “putting out a fire,” antioxidants “mop up” and neutralize free radicals, and can actually decrease the onset of aging by:
- preventing cell and tissue damage
- shielding DNA structure
- averting cell death
- reducing the potential for skin cancer
- defending vital skin proteins such as collagen and elastin
- protecting against hyaluronic acid degradation in the skin
Antioxidants can be thought of as an “insurance policy” for skin health. Antioxidants can also help correct UV damage to DNA, which would otherwise cause wrinkles, pigmentation and even skin cancers. Needless to say, antioxidant-based skincare products are essential in today’s skincare regimens, and this is why PRIORI® Skincare is based one of the three categories of antioxidants:
- Botanical Antioxidants – NATURECEUTICALS™: Plant derived antioxidants; e.g., CoffeeBerry®; the most potent natural antioxidants known to date.
- Biological Antioxidants – COSMECEUTICALS: Biologically essential antioxidants either made by the human body (e.g., Glutathione, SOD, etc.) or must be consumed in diet or applied topically (i.e., vitamins such as Vit-A, Vit-C, Vit-E or Pro-Vit A).
- Synthetic Antioxidants – SUPERCEUTICALS®: New high-tech bioengineered antioxidants that target aging at the cellular source – the mitochondria; (e.g. Idebenone) can affect metabolic oxidative stress by entering the respiratory chain; the only antioxidants that fight both intrinsic and extrinsic aging.
When choosing an SPF product for sun protection, one that is also rich in antioxidants will also defend against the damaging effects from free radicals, such as PRIORI® sunscreens, which provide Total Topical Anti-aging Protection:
- Advanced AHA Daily Defense SPF 30 contains a self-generating Multi-Functional Antioxidant Sequence, which includes essential vitamin antioxidants for continuous protection against free radicals.
- CoffeeBerry® Natural Daily Protection SPF 25 and Perfecting Foundation SPF 25 contain CoffeeBerry®, which is three times more effective than green tea or any other natural source of antioxidants (based on ORAC value).
- Idebenone Complex Radical Defense SPF 30 delivers the highest EPF® value of any antioxidant, EPF® 95+, with Idebenone Complex. Radical Defense SPF 30 provides both internal and external free radical protection for a high level of skin rejuvenation.
So if your sunscreen does not contain antioxidants, you are only getting half the protection! Don’t cheat your skin – choose year-round TOTAL TOPICAL ANTI-AGING PROTECTION (SPF plus antioxidants)!
Joseph A. Lewis II- The Scientist Behind the Skincare Industry’s Most Breakthrough Anti-aging Technologies
Joseph A. Lewis II, one of the leading cosmeceutical research scientists in the world, has provided the skincare industry with significant anti-aging technology breakthroughs. Mr. Lewis is President and CEO of Pharma Cosmetix Research, LLC, a Virginia-based contract laboratory for skincare product research and development with emphasis on both the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries. Mr. Lewis has a B.S. degree in chemistry with 30 years experience in the pharmaceutical industry.
Former Director of Research & Development for Allergan, Inc., and Executive Vice President and Co-CEO for Herald Pharmacal, Inc., Mr. Lewis was a pioneer in AHA technology and research. He developed and launched the world’s first glycolic acid (AHA) product in 1983 and has since introduced some of the skincare industries’ most innovative breakthrough anti-aging products.
Joe is committed to researching and developing new antioxidants for skincare therapy and developed the concept of EPF® (Environmental Protection Factor), quantification of oxidative stress protection capacity for topical antioxidants. He has lectured extensively, both domestically and internationally.
In 2004, Mr. Lewis teamed up with toxicologist and cosmetic chemist, Joseph C. DiNardo to launch PRIORI® Skincare. Considered “The Anti- Aging Authorities,” these scientists and world leaders in anti-aging technologies founded the whole Cosmeceutical revolution in the early 80s, with the first launch of AHAs – the revolution that changed consumers’ thinking about skincare
from that point forward.