Got winter skin woes? The cold, dry weather can be your worst enemy, especially if you already suffer from dry, sensitive skin that’s prone to eczema. It’s seasons like this that require the strictest skin care regimens because you’ll need all the skin care and dietary arsenal you can get to help your skin survive the winter cold.
When shopping for moisturizers, go for the rich, cream-based moisturizers instead of lotions. They provide longer-lasting hydration by preventing moisture loss. Here are some great skin soothers that help with dry, itchy, red skin:
- My all-time favorite: Atopalm Intensive Moisturizing Cream. While the price may be pretty steep for a small jar, this is truly a skin savior when it comes to severely dry, flaky, itchy skin. Its Multi Lamellar Emulsion, made from plant extracts, mimics and helps replenish the skin’s natural lipids to prevent moisture loss while antioxidant vitamins protect and promote healing. It’s paraben free and is gentle enough for use on the face and body.
- Nuxe Reve De Miel Ultra Comfortable Body Cream uses honey liposomes and chestnut extract to help repair the skin’s moisture barrier. Macadamia and wild fruit oils provide further moisturizing and anti-inflammatory benefits for soft, supple, comfortably hydrated skin.
- Avene’s TriXera Plus Selectiose Emollient Cream is particularly effective in calming irritation associated with eczema, atopic dermatitis or just severely dry skin. Formulated with Avene’s thermal spring water, known for its powerful healing properties, it works to control inflammation and restore the skin’s defense barrier so your skin is not only relieved from the itch and discomfort, it’s left with a smoother, softer touch and a healthy glow.
Here are a few other helpful tips to keep dryness and inflammation at bay:
- Take short showers using warm or cool water instead of hot, which strips skin of moisture
- Use a humidifier to help maintain your skin’s moisture levels
- Load up on foods like walnuts, flaxseeds, fish and beans. They’re rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which help reduce inflammation and maintain skin’s youthfully supple texture and glow.